Easing troubled minds
This year, 4 million Australians will experience mental ill-health. In our lifetimes, as many as half of us will encounter it. There are more people in Australia today with depression than there are suffering a common cold. And even more - one in seven Australians - will have an anxiety disorder this year.
The cost to the economy is estimated at $30 billion a year. This includes care and treatment and welfare payments, as well as countless lost hours of work.
Mental ill-health often begins in the young, and so the effects can be profound, restricting people at the very time they are exploring their potential and entering some of their most productive years.
Mental health is a massive matter read more
Most read news
- 05:11 Liberal Party set to allow conscience vote on same-sex marriage
- 04:47 Jim Byrne's cool ride seals Yeager's win with next year's winter...
- 04:34 Fat-shamed mother Tanis Jex-Blake posts awesome response on Facebook
- 04:33 Qantas changes flight path away from Iraq
- 04:23 West African nations create a cross-border Ebola isolation zone to...
- 04:12 NBA star Paul George of Indiana Pacers suffers horrific leg injury...
- 04:02 Cafe Society and Pether's Moon on target for Australia after...
- 03:37 LIVE: Adelaide Crows take on West Coast Eagles at Adelaide Oval
- 03:29 Live blog: All the action from V8 qualifying and racing on Saturday...
- 02:06 Australia in the grip of a "new stolen generation', indigenous...