Easing troubled minds
This year, 4 million Australians will experience mental ill-health. In our lifetimes, as many as half of us will encounter it. There are more people in Australia today with depression than there are suffering a common cold. And even more - one in seven Australians - will have an anxiety disorder this year.
The cost to the economy is estimated at $30 billion a year. This includes care and treatment and welfare payments, as well as countless lost hours of work.
Mental ill-health often begins in the young, and so the effects can be profound, restricting people at the very time they are exploring their potential and entering some of their most productive years.
Mental health is a massive matter read more
Most read news
- 19:28 BREKKIE WRAP: Jazz Jennings has written I am Jazz for transgender...
- 18:55 Australians Scott Hend and Adam Groom lead the Macau Open
- 18:21 Rio Ferdinand announces retirement at end of the season with Queens...
- 18:21 Shane Warne inspires Pakistan debutant Yasir Shah
- 18:01 "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo' cancelled by TLC after reports "Mama...
- 17:25 Ottawa gunman Michael Zehaf-Bibeau's "smile wins over the girls'
- 16:30 Abbie Cornish has shared a throwback picture from her Dolly...
- 16:05 Kelly Osbourne honours Joan Rivers with new tattoo
- 15:58 Gwyneth Paltrow is dating someone from Glee ... just four months...
- 15:36 Gai Waterhouse has two chances, Almalad and Wandjina, to follow her...