Bernard Tomic's father John guilty of assaulting tennis player
THE father of tennis ace Bernard Tomic has been found guilty of an assault on another player and handed a suspended eight months sentence.
A court in Madrid today ruled Ivana John Tomic did headbutt Bernard Tomic's French tennis practice partner Thomas Drouet in May this year outside a hotel in the Spanish capital.
While he was sentenced to eight months jail, the sentence was suspended for him to be of good behaviour for a set period of time.
But the sentence is likely to see Tomic Snr, who is still listed as his son's coach, banned from all ATP tournaments. The ATP had banned him pending the outcome of the court case.
"This is good news," Drout, 30, said today of... read more
Most read news
- 10:04 At least seven killed when train hits fuel truck in Jakarta
- 08:33 Replay: Australia has humbled England to win the second Ashes Test...
- 08:17 Two mine workers killed in Mount Lyell accident on Tasmania's west...
- 08:00 Tropfest winner Bamboozled accused of transphobia
- 07:33 Liverpool lose inspirational skipper Steven Gerrard for six weeks...
- 07:33 Former EPL star DJ Campbell arrested as match fixing investigation...
- 06:34 Conservationist says states set to water down mine approvals
- 06:30 Protesters keep up the fight despite Thai PM calling snap election...
- 05:29 Paper Talk: free-kick magic, Lima steals show, Kagawa's stomach...
- 05:18 Female war veterans in the US struggling to re-enter civilian life