Bernard Tomic's father John guilty of assaulting tennis player
THE father of tennis ace Bernard Tomic has been found guilty of an assault on another player and handed a suspended eight months sentence.
A court in Madrid today ruled Ivana John Tomic did headbutt Bernard Tomic's French tennis practice partner Thomas Drouet in May this year outside a hotel in the Spanish capital.
While he was sentenced to eight months jail, the sentence was suspended for him to be of good behaviour for a set period of time.
But the sentence is likely to see Tomic Snr, who is still listed as his son's coach, banned from all ATP tournaments. The ATP had banned him pending the outcome of the court case.
"This is good news," Drout, 30, said today of... read more
Most read news
- 13:12 Lloyd Williams believes journey just right for Green Moon in Queen...
- 13:12 Blinkers drive Kiwi star Silent Achiever to great heights
- 13:11 Stats show Waratahs not nearly as effective without star fullback...
- 12:53 Australian, Thai journalists charged with defaming Thai navy
- 12:48 Player power has kept coach Josep Gombau at Adelaide United until 2017
- 12:33 Western Force's new-found "culture' probably not the best fit for...
- 12:18 Jews pray at Jerusalem's Old City after clashes at Al-Aqsa mosque
- 12:11 Craig Bellamy pushed to the brink over Jordan McLean-Alex McKinnon...
- 12:11 Duchess of Cambridge continues to wow the fashion fans on tour
- 08:49 Live coverage: Richmond Tigers tackle Brisbane Lions in must-win...