Bernard Tomic's father John guilty of assaulting tennis player
THE father of tennis ace Bernard Tomic has been found guilty of an assault on another player and handed a suspended eight months sentence.
A court in Madrid today ruled Ivana John Tomic did headbutt Bernard Tomic's French tennis practice partner Thomas Drouet in May this year outside a hotel in the Spanish capital.
While he was sentenced to eight months jail, the sentence was suspended for him to be of good behaviour for a set period of time.
But the sentence is likely to see Tomic Snr, who is still listed as his son's coach, banned from all ATP tournaments. The ATP had banned him pending the outcome of the court case.
"This is good news," Drout, 30, said today of... read more
Most read news
- 04:00 Richard Douglas out for next six weeks with groin injury
- 04:00 Check out our full NRL injury report as Newcastle Knights are...
- 03:55 The worst celebrity travelling companions revealed
- 03:55 Collingwood big men Ben Reid and Jesse White in doubt for Round 1...
- 03:38 Macro photographer David Gilliver proves it's a small world after all
- 03:34 Kushadasi will take aim at the Group 1 SA Derby, but only if he's...
- 03:23 Ollie Wines once planned to leave Port Adelaide, but not anymore
- 03:23 Thomas Broich rejects call for video technology after being robbed...
- 02:58 Jets teammates Birighitti and Regan separated after training ground...
- 02:44 Sonny Bill Williams takes early guilty plea, cops three week...