Bernard Tomic's father John guilty of assaulting tennis player
THE father of tennis ace Bernard Tomic has been found guilty of an assault on another player and handed a suspended eight months sentence.
A court in Madrid today ruled Ivana John Tomic did headbutt Bernard Tomic's French tennis practice partner Thomas Drouet in May this year outside a hotel in the Spanish capital.
While he was sentenced to eight months jail, the sentence was suspended for him to be of good behaviour for a set period of time.
But the sentence is likely to see Tomic Snr, who is still listed as his son's coach, banned from all ATP tournaments. The ATP had banned him pending the outcome of the court case.
"This is good news," Drout, 30, said today of... read more
Most read news
- 16:16 Young workers in Dongguan, China's "factory of the world', dying of...
- 15:41 England's James Anderson may be banned from fourth Test amid claims...
- 15:20 Young Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios practicing at Melbourne...
- 15:14 Real Madrid sign Colombian World Cup hero James Rodriguez
- 15:10 Gorden Tallis writes Brisbane looked united on the weekend so why...
- 15:10 Player fury at lack of consultation on decision to sack coach...
- 15:10 Brisbane Broncos desperate to weather the Melbourne Storm this weekend
- 15:05 Sea Eagles want to front the club's board to vent their...
- 15:05 A hotel room Darius Boyd was staying in suffered $1500 worth of damage
- 15:05 Brisbane Broncos send fullback Darius Boyd message: We don't need you