Bernard Tomic's father John guilty of assaulting tennis player
THE father of tennis ace Bernard Tomic has been found guilty of an assault on another player and handed a suspended eight months sentence.
A court in Madrid today ruled Ivana John Tomic did headbutt Bernard Tomic's French tennis practice partner Thomas Drouet in May this year outside a hotel in the Spanish capital.
While he was sentenced to eight months jail, the sentence was suspended for him to be of good behaviour for a set period of time.
But the sentence is likely to see Tomic Snr, who is still listed as his son's coach, banned from all ATP tournaments. The ATP had banned him pending the outcome of the court case.
"This is good news," Drout, 30, said today of... read more
Most read news
- 02:39 Video: Did most ridiculous rule in the NRL cost Manly Sea Eagles...
- 02:34 Video: Former biter James Graham shows his sporting side,...
- 02:28 Young stars who had the nerve to release autobiographies
- 02:15 Julia Gillard interview with Ray Martin: Former PM admits she "fed...
- 02:06 Struggling Fulham fare no better without Felix Magath as Blackburn...
- 01:40 Mark Hunt knocks out Roy Nelson at UFC Fight Night 52
- 01:40 EuroBeat: Moritz Stoppelkamp scores extraordinary long-range goal...
- 01:28 Olympic sailing champ Mat Belcher wins fifth straight world 470...
- 00:57 Mitchell Marsh's final over heroics lift Perth Scorchers to...
- 00:48 F1 considers three-car teams in massive overhaul